Welcome to Next Steps Washington!
Next Steps is a broad-based community group dedicated to following up on the implementation of Washington State Initiative 940: the Law Enforcement Training and Community Safety Act (LETCSA). I-940 was passed by the voters of Washington State in November 2018.
What does LETCSA require?
LETCSA established new requirements for:
- Training in de-escalation, mental health crisis management, and trauma first aid; and
- Independent Investigation of all fatal shootings by law enforcement officers in Washington State.
Want to get involved?
There are many ways to join us in doing this work.
- Weekly meetings: We have weekly meetings on Thursday evenings, 7-9pm, in the South Seattle area. You can attend the meetings in person, or join by Skype. Check our blog for current info.
- Mailing list: Send us a request to join our mailing list.
- Be a Community Representative: Apply for community representative positions on the Independent Investigation Teams (IITs). Check for openings HERE.